BOLERO! A 10!
MUSIC, MOVEMENT, LIFE. IT DOES'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS! One of the reasons you live in Gainesville - amazing cultural activities for you and your children!.
Plan on a simmering hot evening filled with pulsing beats when Dance Alive National Ballet and the University of Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Maestro Raymond Chobaz join together for an unforgetable evening of music and dance. On the program:
- From the rhythm of Mexican composer Marquez' "Danzon" to Ravel's sensual masterpiece "Bolero", choreography by Artistic Director Kim Tuttle, you will find yourself captivated by the lush sounds of Latin music and expressive and dynamic dance.
- Renowned pianist Kevin Sharpe, winner of the International Bach Competition, is piano soloist in Manual de Fall's impressionistic odyssey "Night in the Gardens of Spain", a world premier by resident choreographer Judy Skinner.
- Set to a brilliant contemporary arrangement of Villa-Lobos "Bachianas-Brasileiras#5", Brazilian choreographer Cristina Helena brings a fresh and exotic approach to this well-known classic.
- Guest vocalist and guitarist Welson Tremura performs the dramatic "Los Hermanos", danced by the charismatic Andre Valladon.
- And special guest choreographer ANi Collier, former Dance Alive principal, creates her first major work on the company to "Batuque".
Dance Alive National Ballet IS NOT your average tutu ballet company!
Pofahl Studio is the Official School of Dance Alive National Ballet, a fully professional ballet company that is both the State Touring Company of Florida and the Official Arts Ambassadors of Gainesville, Florida. Dance Alive National Ballet has toured over 17 states, Costa Rica, Russia and Brazil. Dance Alive National Ballet is the recipient of funding on local, state, and national levels, including the National Endowment for the Arts. The Company is involved in artist residencies, developing arts education curriculum for public schools, and outreach performances for under-served urban and rural children.
Dance Alive National Ballet is one of Gainesville's treasures and is wholeheartedly endorsed by Pofahl Studios. The ultimate way to learn to dance is to see professional dance. Dance Alive National Ballet provides that experience with grace and elegance in the studio and on stage. Outstanding students may be selected by audition to perform with Dance Alive National Ballet.
Students from the School who have been selected for Corps de Ballet include: Emily Abernethy, Emily Davis, Amy Emerson, Stephon Johnson, Jacqueline Kessler, Delaney Ruth, Nika Sourakov, Anne Thompson, and Grace Thompson.
Rachel Ridley has been elevated to Soloist.
Auditions for Nutcracker are September 8th.
Go to www.dancealive.org to see more about the Company.
Below, three beautiful dancers. One from Brazil. One from Hungary. And one from Gainesville, Florida - trained at Pofahl Studios.